The concept of recycling and its importance Excess materials such as toxic or harmful unwanted materials are called waste or waste “garbage” and these materials differ according to the source, these wastes may be toxins, which are materials that come out of living organisms such as waste, and these wastes may be plastic materials resulting from the human use of foodstuffs. Coated with plastic, it may be factory waste, such as some types of gases, liquids, or solid waste such as metals. Through the reference site, we will discuss the concept of recycling and its importance and how we can benefit from sorting waste environmentally and economically.
The concept of recycling and its importance
Recycling is a purely industrial chemical process through which waste and waste, whether they are harmful and toxic materials, or whether they are harmless materials, are converted into other materials that can be used again, in order to stop wasting raw materials. Therefore, most scientists defined recycling as:
- The process by which any redundant material that has become undesirable to be used again is converted into another usable material, in order to save raw materials and preserve the environment’s wealth from non-renewable minerals, elements and sources, and these materials are chemically treated to become usable for safety. once again.
Also, most places nowadays make this process easier for factories, as they allocate some containers with some signs and symbols that show that they were specially designed to dispose of recyclable materials inside, such as special containers to dispose of plastic inside, paper containers and food containers.
The recycling process is a process that not only benefits the environment, but its positive impact extends to the economic and social aspect. This process is also an ancient process of discovery, as it has been practiced by humans since the age of the philosopher Plato, because people in his era re-used damaged or broken tools From pottery by recycling what was destroyed from it with clay a second time so that they can use it a second time.
New Waste Management System 1443
The importance of recycling for the environment
Recycling for the environment has several benefits, starting from the aesthetic form of the environment, through the preservation of living organisms, ending with preserving the environment as a whole and preventing waste of raw materials. Among the benefits of recycling for the environment are the following:
- Waste, garbage and trash in general, whatever their source, are disposed of in the water or in the streets and various environments, and this causes a distortion of the aesthetic shape of the environment and affects the state in tourism and thus affects economically, but through recycling all these wastes can be disposed of by converting them into materials Others can be used a second time, and this reduces the presence of these wastes in the streets and water sources, thus restoring the aesthetic shape of the environment again.
- Recycling waste that can be used again provides space inside the landfill for other unusable materials, and this reduces the presence of waste and waste outside those landfills, so they disappear from view.
- Some people resort to burning waste, which in turn causes global warming and the accumulation of gases in the environment, and this affects plants, living organisms, and humans in particular, but recycling helps prevent people from resorting to this bad habit.
- The manufacture of raw materials from the beginning causes global warming resulting from the emission of many harmful gases resulting from the manufacturing steps, while recycling is an advanced process of the manufacturing processes, so the harmful gases emitted are much less than the gases resulting from the manufacture of the material from the beginning.
- Recycling helps tackle climate change, because these recycled materials reduce bad habits that emit harmful gases such as carbon dioxide.
The economic importance of recycling
Economic studies and research have concluded that the process of recycling improves the economy of countries in direct and indirect ways, as represented in the following:
- First: Recycling is a process that requires the establishment of many factories for that process, so job opportunities increase and the unemployment rate decreases.
- Secondly: Recycling is a process that increases production at lower costs and time, while not consuming raw materials.
- Third: What Recycling Needs It costs manufacturers, the government and taxpayers less and more production.
Recycling related symbols
The universal recycling symbol is: (U + 2672 ♻ UNIVERSAL RECYCLING SYMBOL which is also U + 267B BLACK UNIVERSAL RECYCLING SYMBOL in Unicode) This symbol was introduced in 1970 on the first day of Earth Day, and this symbol is not a trademark but a public domain, There are many symbols related to the recycling process, but these symbols are not widely known in our societies, and among the most important of these symbols and their connotations are the following:
- -PETE- Polyethylene Terephthalate: This symbol relates to recyclable plastic materials such as water and soft drink bottles, and plastic food containers, and these materials can be recycled into other bottles and plastic containers, and polyester fibres.
- -HDPE-: This symbol relates to packaging for bleaching materials, detergents such as conditioner, shampoo, and milk storage containers, and these containers are recycled to make other packaging that can be used safely.
- -V- Polyvinyl Chloride: This advantage concerns the chemically more dangerous materials in terms of recycling and that they are not recycled in the traditional way but are done mechanically.
- -LDPE-: This symbol relates to the materials used in the manufacture of some simple things such as garbage bags, ice cream covers, sandwich boxes and the like, and this material is flexible and can be easily recycled.
- -PP- Polypropylene: This symbol is for materials that are converted into fibers after recycling, such as clothes, bottles and ropes.
- -PS- Polystyrene: This symbol relates to materials that are more difficult to recycle due to their bulkiness, but at the same time they are considered lightweight materials, including nylon and some types of plastics.
Types of materials that can be recycled
The materials that can be recycled are not one or two materials but rather they are more than that as their number may extend into hundreds of numbers, and more, and the most common types are:
- Metal: As metals are used by humans daily, and all of them, without exception, have the ability to be recycled, and studies and research said that the energy that is consumed in recycling metals is less than the energy that is consumed in the exploration and production of the metal itself by more than 70%. Recycled “aluminum foil, steel, copper, tin and gold”.
- paper: Paper is among the most recyclable materials, especially cardboard, as this paper can be recycled and used again in the manufacture of paper shipping boxes, breakfast cereal boxes, tissue paper, magazines and newspapers, printing paper, advertising paper, flyers, and posters office paper,etc.
- the glass: Glass is a recyclable material and is among the most common materials such as flint glass, especially transparent ones, as it is recycled to make completely similar types, and such as amber glass or the so-called brown glass, and this type is recycled only in a small scale.
- plastic: Plastic materials are characterized by their light weight, low price, and ability to be easily molded and used in many areas, in addition to the fact that plastic is a semi-permanent material, and it is manufactured all over the world in quantities that may exceed one hundred million tons each year, so the process of recycling plastic is important to society because of what It is caused by plastic materials from waste.
Recycle at home
Recycling things at home, especially old things. The concept of recycling and its importance in miniature, such as clothes, household utensils, and the like is very important and can be used a lot, especially for the housewife, and there are many ideas for recycling inside the home, the most important of which are the following:
- First idea: This idea relates to old clothes and fabrics that are no longer used again, such as cutting long pants into other short pants called shorts, and the long skirt can also be used and recycled to make another new and modern shorter mini skirt. Clothes can also be dyed in other new colors, and fabrics can also be used Too much to make a sofa cover in order to keep it from dirt
- Second idea: At home, through household items and some materials that are not used at the present time, it is possible to make a souvenir plate from pictures and decorate it with those materials that are not used, by placing the pictures in the board made of cardboard and decorating that board with the rest of the remaining materials from birthdays or Celebrations as decorating materials, and these pictures can be replaced with certificates and hung that board in the house as a kind of souvenir.
- Third idea: Toys in the form of a bear and puppets can be made for children, by cutting the shape of the bride or bear and then stuffing them with old clothes, and using the buttons inside the house to make the eyes and nose of the bride or bear.
- Fourth idea: A heater, quilt, or blanket can be made by layering several layers of old clothing.
- Fifth idea: Using old clothes and shirts to make pillow covers by cutting the sleeves and getting rid of them, turning the shirt over and blocking the place of those sleeves, stuffing the bag with old fabrics and shirts, and then blocking the neck hole.
- Sixth idea: Use old cloths to make cleaning towels such as white flannels, to polish glass and polish wood.
- Seventh idea: Making the so-called thermal protectors that are used under the hot cup to dissipate the heat, by cutting the cardboard in the form of a circle that accommodates the cup and decorating that paper with decorations inside the house as desired.
Eighth idea: Get the plastic bags, cut them into flat plastic placemats, and tape them well to prevent the surface from getting dirty.
The eighth idea: The empty plastic bottles can be used to make a box or place to plant plants and flowers and decorate the house and balcony with it.
- Ninth idea: CDs can be colored in different colors and pasted on one of the walls of the house as a kind of decoration
- Tenth idea: Making a container for keeping pens and stationery by bringing an empty metal case or bottle and decorating it, putting pens and stationery inside it, and then placing it on the desk for use.
The most important recycling operations are the recycling operations of waste recycling, in order to get rid of these wastes to preserve the environment and communities, so there is a special way to collect and recycle these wastes, as follows:
- Waste collection in a center that buys back that waste from consumers before sorting.
- The centers specialized in placing and storing waste inside them to be sorted gradually by the workers inside those places.
- Treating these materials, sorting what is recyclable and disposing of others in the correct ways to dispose of waste, such as placing these wastes in special landfills to bury the waste inside.
- The stage of chemical treatment and manufacturing of these materials to become new consumable tools and to put those products back on the market.
The best wholesale plastic shops in Jeddah
Plastic materials are characterized by their light weight, low price, and ability to be easily molded and used in many areas, in addition to the fact that plastic is a semi-permanent material, and it is manufactured in all countries of the world in quantities that may exceed one hundred million tons each year, so the process of recycling plastic is important to society because of what It is caused by plastic materials from waste, and there are several advantages of plastic recycling, including the following:
- Plastic is manufactured all over the world in quantities that may exceed 100 million tons each year, so the process of recycling plastic is important for society to get rid of all those plastics because of the waste that plastics cause, and the recycling process increases the production of plastic in general and at a lower cost .
- Preserving the natural resources of the environment that go into the manufacture of plastics, such as water and petroleum products, thus preserving the ecological balance.
- Preserving the cleanliness of the environment as plastic waste and garbage are disposed of in the water, in the streets or in desert environments, and this causes a distortion of the aesthetic shape of the environment and affects the state in tourism and thus affects economically, but through recycling all these wastes can be disposed of by Converting it to other materials that can be used again, and this reduces the presence of these wastes in the streets and water sources, and thus restores the aesthetic shape of the environment again, and among those to be recycled are the following:
- Polyethylene Terephthalate: Polyethylene Tere phthalate is a tough, transparent, flexible substance (PET) and sometimes (PETE) that is used to make plastic packaging, soft drink bottles, oil and food preservatives, and toothpaste containers.
- Polyethylene is high: High-Density Polyethylene is a hard and durable material that has the ability to resist moisture. The symbol for that material is (HDPE) and it is used to make shampoo bottles, shopping bags, cutting boards and water tanks.
- polyvinyl chloride: Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), which is tough, durable and flexible, is used to make medical equipment, cooking oil bottles, shampoo bottles, juice bottles, disinfectants and glass cleaners.
The recycling process is among the most important industrial and chemical processes for all countries of the world, as recycling helps in addressing the phenomenon of climate change and preserves the environment from the accumulation of waste, as it improves the economy of countries in general, so it is important to trade The concept of recycling and its importance and work on developing it.