Arm exercises after mastectomy After performing any operation in the breast area, the woman must do several very important exercises to restore the activity of the arm and shoulder, as this process significantly affects their movement. For example, the woman must refrain from moving randomly and unspecified, but these exercises help her reduce that With the restoration of the normal activity of both the arm and the shoulder, and this must be after consulting the specialist doctor, and through the reference site, we will present the arm exercises after mastectomy with pictures.
Arm exercises after mastectomy
There are dozens of exercises that can be practiced after a mastectomy to restore the activity of both arms and shoulders to their normal shape, but the safest of these exercises are:
deep breathing exercise
Deep breathing is the easiest exercise that can be practiced after a mastectomy, as follows:
- This exercise can be done immediately after a mastectomy, one day, and it can be practiced at any time of the day, as it helps well in reducing the pain around the chest area.
- It is possible to choose a comfortable chair, such as chairs lined with cotton, and then sit on it upright and in a way that feels comfortable.
- Begin to take a deep breath slowly through the nose for 3 to 5 seconds.
- After breathing through the nose, exhale slowly through the mouth.
- Continue to perform this exercise until you feel that the chest and abdomen are expanding.
- This exercise can be repeated at any time as needed, but not before consulting a specialist.
Shoulder exercise “Back shoulder”
This exercise helps to move the shoulder again after the operation, and it is one of the easiest exercises that can be started, because it works to lengthen the shoulder muscles and the chest muscles lightly. To perform this exercise, you can follow several simple steps as follows:
- Put one hand on the chest or collarbone area, and then start rotating the shoulder back and in a circular motion up to 10 times if possible.
- After moving the shoulder back ten times, the shoulder can be rotated forward 10 times as well.
- In the event of feeling tired, it is preferable not to complete the exercise and take a rest or do a deep breathing exercise, and you should consult a doctor before practicing that exercise.
Causes of breast cancer from a scientific point of view
This exercise must be practiced when a woman undergoes a mastectomy in both breasts, as this exercise is in both arms, but the exercise must not be performed in both arms at the same time so as not to put pressure on the chest muscles. To perform the exercise, the following steps can be followed:
- Stand a little apart between the feet to achieve balance and then raise the arm to be exercised to the side to the highest possible point, taking into account the restriction of the arm’s range of movement according to the health instructions.
- Start slowly making circles back with the arm, making sure to move the arm with the shoulder, not the elbow, while keeping the elbow straight.
- After exercising for a while, work is done to gently increase the area of the circles to the maximum area that can be reached comfortably.
- If a woman feels pain in the arm, she should take a rest and then continue when she feels better. It is also recommended to practice this exercise 10 times backward and then repeat the same steps forward.
Arm stretching exercises
This exercise helps move the shoulder wings out naturally and can be done while sitting or standing. It is done by following these easy steps:
- Place the hand on the chest or collarbone, and then raise the elbows to the side, slowly moving the elbows.
- This exercise can be done up to 10 times if possible, but you should consult your doctor before practicing this exercise.
w . shape exercise
The w-shaped exercise is called the w-lift exercise, and it can be practiced using the Swiss ball or leaning against the wall. To do this correctly, the following steps must be followed:
- Lie face down on the Swiss ball or face the wall so that the chest is parallel to the ground with respect to the ball and parallel to the wall with respect to the use of the wall to perform the exercise, with the arms extended in front of the ball down and elbows bent until equal to a 90-degree angle.
- After keeping the elbows bent at an angle of 90 degrees, the arms are raised up until they are parallel to the ground with the hands next to the head, and you must stop a little, and then lower the arms to the starting point.
Back climbing exercise
Back climbing is an exercise similar to mountain climbing, but at home, as this exercise is an alternative for those who cannot go to do mountain climbing exercises, and the exercise is done in a very easy way, because it does not require any equipment or heavy weights, and the exercise can be practiced as follows:
- Lift the body off the ground, place the hands directly under the shoulder, extend them completely, and tighten the legs while maintaining the integrity of the body.
- The right knee is folded and pushed forward towards the chest and the leg is returned to its initial position, then the movement is repeated with alternating legs.
- This exercise burns many calories, due to the great effort made by the person doing this exercise, whether it is a physical or mental effort, and this exercise improves the flexibility of the body, because these movements make the body more flexible.
- This exercise also supports the health of the blood vessels and the heart, because it makes the heartbeat work quickly, which enables the entire extremities of the body to move, and that exercise makes the body more light and mobile.
Logo for World Breast Cancer Day 2021
Hand behind the neck exercise
The hand exercise behind the neck is not much different in ease than the rest of the other exercises, because it does not require equipment or heavy weights, and this exercise can be practiced as follows:
- Put the hand behind the neck by raising the right hand and the elbow, then place them on a nearby wall, and then the woman rotates her head to the left.
- After practicing the first step, the chin is lowered down until you feel a stretch on the right side, and this exercise is continued for 30 minutes, but you should consult a doctor before practicing it.
Stick climbing exercise
The stick climbing exercise is widely done because it is easy to practice both indoors and outdoors, and also because it does not require heavy weights or large equipment, and the exercise can be practiced as follows:
- This exercise works to sculpt the waist and the body significantly, because it works to burn the fat accumulated in that area of the body, and the stick exercise works to burn high calories in the body and helps relieve the pain resulting from the operation.
- The exercise can be practiced by using a long stick by standing straight with the back well straightened and both legs apart and the stick is fixed at the top of the shoulder and the body is rotated right and left several times while taking enough rest when feeling tired, with the advice of a specialist before undergoing this exercise.
Stretching with a towel or a stick
The stretching exercise using the towel is one of the easy and simple exercises that help to extend noticeably, and it is done in a simple way as follows:
- Grab a folded towel or stick with both hands and gently pull one hand up toward the ceiling and alternate with the other hand to lift.
- After practicing this exercise, the person will notice the noticeable difference in lengthening the hands quickly, while reducing the swelling resulting from undergoing the operation, and gradually reducing the pain. However, a specialist doctor should be consulted before practicing this exercise.
Exercises to combat swelling from mastectomy
The exercises that are practiced after the mastectomy operation. Combating the swelling resulting from the operation is considered one of its most important goals. It is to combat the swelling resulting from the mastectomy process. Several other things can also be practiced to combat that swelling, such as:
- Lie on a comfortable place with the arm raised next to the removed breast for 45 minutes, repeating this process two to three times a day.
- The arm can be raised on a comfortable pillow making the arm above the wrist and above the elbow, as studies have shown that this effectively reduces swelling.
- The arm adjacent to the excised breast can be moved by raising it above the level of the heart and then bending the elbow. This movement can be done about 20 times, with this process repeated 3 to 4 times a day.
Short phrases about breast cancer
Tips to follow when doing arm exercises after mastectomy
Mastectomy is a very dangerous operation that has many side effects such as swelling, scars and the inability to move the arms normally, so there are several exercises that must be practiced after the operation, and several specific tips must be followed when performing these exercises so as not to result in serious damage, Those tips are as follows:
- Before starting the exercise steps, you must practice the so-called warm-up exercises such as walking for a short period of time, not exceeding fifteen minutes, in order to stimulate blood circulation, and you should stop when feeling pain.
- You should consult the doctor who performed the surgery before undergoing these exercises, as these exercises are sometimes ineffective and sometimes pose a risk in some cases.
- Loose, cotton clothing should be worn so that the woman feels comfortable when exercising.
- Before exercising, you should take a shower with warm water to relax the muscles and the woman can exercise comfortably.
- These exercises must be practiced slowly and comfortably so as not to hurt the woman in the place of the operation.
- You should take breaks during the exercise, such as walking for fifteen minutes.
- Organizing the time of exercise is desirable as well, and you must maintain its repetition periodically according to the doctor’s advice, such as repetition daily.
Massage the scar from mastectomy
To avoid arm swelling or the swelling of the scar resulting from mastectomy, the following should be done:
- Massaging the scar is completely wrong, and you should consult a doctor before doing this so as not to harm the place of the forest, which is very dangerous, but several other things must be followed that do not pose a danger, such as avoiding sudden and large temperature changes.
- Avoid showering with high-temperature water, and the use of saunas, jacuzzis, and steam baths is prohibited after a mastectomy.
- The area in which the operation was performed should be covered with sunscreen so as not to be harmed by harmful rays.
- Not sleeping for long periods on the affected side, avoiding taking rosacea injections in the arm adjacent to the operation, avoiding drawing blood, and not measuring pressure from the same arm.
- Avoid wearing uncomfortable tight clothes or wearing tight jewelry on the hand, while avoiding carrying heavy weights, and avoiding using any sharp tools so as not to injure the affected area.
Reason for baby refusing to breastfeed
Physiotherapy after mastectomy
Physiotherapy after mastectomy is a very important matter that helps relieve pain and restores the movement of both the shoulder and joint in their natural image and enables the patient to perform her daily activity again. The importance and goal of physiotherapy is as follows:
- Physiotherapy reduces the stiffness of the shoulder joints, relieves swelling, and enables the patient to know how to take care of herself and the location of the operation.
- Physiotherapy should be started a day after the operation in order to reduce swelling and pain by clenching the fingers of the arm adjacent to the place of the operation and opening them several times.
- The patient must follow up with a specialized clinic under the supervision of a physiotherapist, adhere to the scheduled appointments and not miss sessions.
- Loose, comfortable clothes made of natural cotton should be worn while undergoing physical therapy.
Chemotherapy after mastectomy
The doctor may see that the patient’s condition requires undergoing chemotherapy after the mastectomy, but this procedure has several side effects, and several specific tips must be followed when starting it to mitigate those effects. The effects and advice are as follows:
- You should follow a balanced diet under the supervision of a doctor, avoid eating fast foods, and get enough sleep and rest.
- Work to reduce stress as much as possible while avoiding foods or activities that cause infections.
- Continuously undergo all laboratory tests recommended by the doctor.
- Chemotherapy causes a permanent feeling of tiredness, lethargy and lethargy, and sometimes causes insomnia, so it is important to follow a healthy and balanced diet to avoid this fatigue and lethargy.
- The feeling of vomiting in some cases is associated with chemotherapy, so several medicines are prescribed to reduce this feeling by the specialist doctor, and any medicines should not be taken without consulting the doctor.
- Chemotherapy sometimes causes hair loss with significant changes in the skin and nails with tingling sensations in both the feet and hands with the appearance of some ulcers in the blood.
Tips to follow after mastectomy
To face the side effects resulting from a mastectomy, several tips and necessary things must be followed, as follows:
- Attention should be paid to a healthy and balanced diet after the operation, and the doctor should be consulted about what this system is and what it consists of.
- You should eat large amounts of protein, such as names, meat, legumes and poultry, because protein contributes greatly to wound healing.
- Never eat junk food and try to eat fresh food as much as possible.
- Avoid eating foods that contain a large amount of fat, such as soft drinks, canned food, and fast foods.
- Avoiding going to places crowded with people and not kissing others so as not to transmit any infection to the patient, while avoiding all psychological pressures and tension and staying away from the factors that help this happen.
- Drink plenty of fluids and water before and after the procedure and before and after chemotherapy sessions.
- Practicing the exercises recommended after the mastectomy, taking care to follow the periodic examination after the surgery.
We ate through Arm exercises after mastectomy with pictures The most important exercises that stimulate the restoration of normal activity for both arms and shoulders after a mastectomy, with the most important tips to be followed before and after the operation, with the importance of physical therapy after the operation in general.